Special Collectors Set 17
The Field of Cloth of Gold
Limited to 500 Sets - Issued in 1980
The Field of Cloth of Gold commemorates an important summit meeting held between King Henry VIII, and King Francis I of France, in 1520. It was hailed as a turning point in Anglo-French relations, but actually achieved nothing of any worth.
King Henry is dressed in his finest costume for this summit meeting with King Francis I of France. So rich were the costumes and pavilions of both courts that the name “Field of Cloth of Gold” was applied to the encampment.
Queen Catherine accompanied her husband the King on his month long trip to France, and made sure she was richly dressed, to support her husband on his diplomatic mission
Cardinal Wolsey was chosen by both sovereigns to make the arrangements for the month long meeting, which was held in a place once known as the golden Vale. It was attended by almost 5200 persons, forming Henry’s retinue and attendants
The complete set consisted of the following three dolls :
- LE/91 - King Henry VIII
- LE/92 - Catherine of Aragon
- LE/93 - Cardinal Wolsey
Each doll was supplied with a numbered certificate of authenticity
The slideshow below displays the entire "Cloth of Gold" doll collection
The doll pictures will auto run as a slide show in the window above.
Press F5 (function key 5 on your keyboard), to re-start the slide show.
Alternatively, you may control the slideshow manually – follow the steps below :
- Place the cursor at the bottom of the window to access thumbnail and navigation control bar
- Click on the “?” (question mark) symbol (bottom left hand side of the control bar) for a detailed explanation of the controls
- See a full screen slideshow by clicking on the “Square with Arrow” symbol (2nd from right on the control bar)
- Use the keyboard arrow keys to move forward and back through the slideshow, as desired
- Use the “ESC” key to leave full screen mode