Special Collectors Set (no number given)
The Investiture of HRH Prince Charles
as Prince of Wales
Issued in 1969 - Issue Quantity unknown
The Investiture set was not given a number, and was initially issued as a small production run, in 1969. The Prince Charles doll was later re-issued in 1977 as P.411, and is distinguished from this rare early model, because it did not have the distinctive crown with the central cross.
The Queen Elizabeth doll was also only issued as part of the Investiture set, and along with Princess Anne, is one of only two dolls to show a current member of the Royal Family in a knee length skirt
The Princess Anne doll is extremely rare, and only issued as part of this Investiture set
The Duke of Edinburgh is also an "Investiture Original", but was later re-issued as P410, in 1977. It shows HRH Prince Philip inthe uniform of "The Admiral of the Fleet"
According to legend, the Three Feathers crest of the Prince of Wales, and his motto, "Ich Dien", (German, "I Serve"), was taken from the body of King John of Bohemia, at the battle of Crécy, in August 1436. The King had bravely ridden into battle, despite his blindness, and Prince Edward so admired his bravery that he adopted his emblem and motto.
The complete set consisted of the following four dolls :
- HRH Prince Charles, Prince of Wales
- HM Queen Elizabeth II
- HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
- HRH Princess Anne
As far as we are aware, these dolls were never given, or issued with, a certificate
The slideshow below displays the entire "Investiture" doll collection
The doll pictures will auto run as a slide show in the window above.
Press F5 (function key 5 on your keyboard), to re-start the slide show.
Alternatively, you may control the slideshow manually – follow the steps below :
- Place the cursor at the bottom of the window to access thumbnail and navigation control bar
- Click on the “?” (question mark) symbol (bottom left hand side of the control bar) for a detailed explanation of the controls
- See a full screen slideshow by clicking on the “Square with Arrow” symbol (2nd from right on the control bar)
- Use the keyboard arrow keys to move forward and back through the slideshow, as desired
- Use the “ESC” key to leave full screen mode