Special Collectors Set 6
A Trio of Tragic Queens who were Beheaded
Limited to 250 sets - Issued in 1972
The three beautiful dolls included in this set make the grim title Peggy Nisbet gave it all the more poignant. The three queens were all perennial favourites of Peggy Nisbet - Perhaps it was the elements of sadness, loss, and tragedy, (and the cruel way they were manipulated for the political aims of others), that fascinated her so
The saddest of these three tragic Queens must surely be Lady Jane Grey, helpless pawn of a manipulative, power-seeking family, whose actions condemned this seventeen year old child to a horrific death under the Headsman's axe, in The Tower of London in 1554
There are at least three Nisbet versions of both Lady Jane Grey and Marie Antoinette that we know of - and at least five of Mary, Queen of Scots.
The complete set consisted of the following three dolls :
- P.660 - Lady Jane Grey
- P.661 - Mary, Queen of Scots
- P.662 - Marie Antoinette
The slideshow below displays the entire "Tragic Queens" doll collection
The doll pictures will auto run as a slide show in the window above.
Press F5 (function key 5 on your keyboard), to re-start the slide show.
Alternatively, you may control the slideshow manually – follow the steps below :
- Place the cursor at the bottom of the window to access thumbnail and navigation control bar
- Click on the “?” (question mark) symbol (bottom left hand side of the control bar) for a detailed explanation of the controls
- See a full screen slideshow by clicking on the “Square with Arrow” symbol (2nd from right on the control bar)
- Use the keyboard arrow keys to move forward and back through the slideshow, as desired
- Use the “ESC” key to leave full screen mode