Special Collectors Set 8
Queen Mary I - "Bloody Mary" (Mary Tudor)
Limited to 250 Sets - Issued in 1975
The daughter of Henry VIII and Katherine of Aragon, Mary was a devout Catholic, to the point of fanaticism. In pursuit of her aim to make England a Catholic country, she unmercifully tortured and and had burned at the stake Protestants who would not renounce their faith, and thus earned herself the name, "Bloody Mary".
Husband of Queen Mary, King Philip II of Spain was disliked by the English, and treated Mary with coldness and disdain, spending as much time away from her as he could. After Mary's death, and during the reign of her sister, Queen Elizabeth I, he sent the ill-fated Armada against England, and suffered an overwhelming defeat.
Katherine of Aragon was originally married to Arthur, son of Henry VII and Elysabeth of York. On his death, she was married to his brother, Henry VIII. She bore Henry six children who all died in infancy, save for Mary. Henry divorced her, (Leaving the Catholic faith in the process), so that he could marry Anne Boleyn, mother of Elizabeth I.
Margaret Plantagenet, Countess of Salisbury, was Lady-in-Waiting to Queen Mary. The daughter of Warwick the Kingmaker, she was executed at Tyburn, on trumped-up charges of treason.
Dona Elvira was the Spanish duenna and Lady-in-Waiting to Queen Katherine of Aragon. She was a ferocious guardian of the young Katherine, and confirmed her Queen's claim that the marriage to the sickly Arthur had never been consummated
The complete set consisted of the following five dolls :
- LE/55 - Queen Mary I
- LE/56 - King Philip II of Spain
- LE/57 - Queen Katherine of Aragon
- LE/58 - Margaret Plantagenet, Countess of Salisbury
- LE/59 - Dona Elvira
Each doll was supplied with a numbered Certificate of Authenticity
The slideshow below displays the entire "Bloody Mary" doll collection
The doll pictures will auto run as a slide show in the window above.
Press F5 (function key 5 on your keyboard), to re-start the slide show.
Alternatively, you may control the slideshow manually – follow the steps below :
- Place the cursor at the bottom of the window to access thumbnail and navigation control bar
- Click on the “?” (question mark) symbol (bottom left hand side of the control bar) for a detailed explanation of the controls
- See a full screen slideshow by clicking on the “Square with Arrow” symbol (2nd from right on the control bar)
- Use the keyboard arrow keys to move forward and back through the slideshow, as desired
- Use the “ESC” key to leave full screen mode